In case your job is to develop the attain and influence of your nonprofit, chances are high you’re already stretched fairly skinny.
From conventional advertising and marketing to social media, and from organizing occasions to dealing with emails and press communication, you merely don’t have the time to create authentic content material that’s related and well timed.
Present disaster is exhibiting us all simply how essential it’s to adapt rapidly on the subject of the content material we use to speak with these we care about essentially the most in our communities.
That is the time to focus your nonprofit’s content material efforts on content material curation. On this information, we’ll present you precisely how, with examples and steps you can take immediately.
What’s content material curation for nonprofits?
Content curation is the method of choosing, modifying, and publishing content material from third-party sources to your viewers. As a substitute of making authentic content material from scratch, you can depend on sources that all the time publish high quality content material.
This fashion, you can preserve frequently exhibiting up for your viewers and help your fundraising and advertising and marketing targets even when you don’t have sufficient time to create your individual content material.
Content curation will work for your nonprofit if you make certain you don’t skip any steps:
- Choose one of the best content material. It’s as much as you to judge the standard of the supply you’re sharing from and solely selecting one of the best. If you don’t, you’ll find yourself sharing poor high quality content material, and you’ll haven’t any stable basis for content material curation.
- Add your experience and insights. As a substitute of simply sharing the piece of curated content material as is, take the time so as to add your message, viewpoint, and experience across the subject. You can spotlight some key factors from the piece, emphasize a name to motion, or add worth in another means particular to you.
- Share the place your viewers wants you. Content curation works via public channels like social media and web site content material, but in addition via non-public channels like newsletters and inner content material hubs.
If you skip any of those steps, you’ll both share low-quality content material that solely provides to the noise, or you gained’t attain anybody in any respect. All three phases are key, and solely then will you see the advantages of content material curation for your nonprofit group.
The advantages of content material curation for your nonprofit
Listed below are some benefits of content material curation for your nonprofit in case you’re uncertain if it’s the correct selection for you.
Turn into the go-to useful resource and cut back data overload
If individuals wish to help a trigger, they’ll flip to Google, social media, or their local people to search out essentially the most related data and study some methods they can assist.
Nonetheless, after they try this, they’ll in all probability find yourself with extra data they can deal with. They gained’t know the place to begin and even which data to depend on.
As a nonprofit group that curates content material, you can cut back data overload and assist this viewers discover vetted, dependable content material. You’ll grow to be the go-to useful resource on subjects related to your nonprofit.
For instance, in case your nonprofit focuses on the worldwide situation of poverty, you can curate content material on essential subjects equivalent to starvation, inequality, entry to water, and girls’s rights. As you curate extra content material over time, individuals concerned with data round poverty will get into the behavior of going to you for all essential sources on it.
Create belief and buy-in from stakeholders
To serve the trigger you’re centered on, you must hit your targets. And to hit your targets, you want buy-in from key individuals like companions, donors, and volunteers.
In line with analysis from Content Marketing Institute, eight out of 10 of the best nonprofit techniques are in a type of digital content material:
With in-person occasions rated as the best nonprofit tactic, chances are high you’re focusing most of your time on these and don’t have sufficient time to create content material like movies, newsletters, infographics, and content material hubs.
That is the place content material curation turns into a superpower. It helps you reply the query: “Why ought to individuals care about this trigger?”
Even with out authentic content material, you can work on constructing belief by publishing:
- Statistics from research and stories
- Unbiased data that helps you set up key issues
- Tales related to your trigger
You can publish these inside a content material hub, form them right into a e-newsletter, put up them on social media, and far more (a later part will present you precisely how).
Have interaction with influencers in your area
It can take you months and even years to achieve on-line visibility large sufficient to hit all of your nonprofit targets. Content curation can assist you speed up this course of.
Why? As a result of by curating and sharing content material from different individuals and organizations, you will land on their radar and usually get in entrance of their audiences.
For you, an influencer is anybody with an viewers that overlaps with the target market for your nonprofit. These can be content material creators, native companies, freelancers and businesses, occasion organizers, and extra.
After they begin seeing your title actually because you share their content material, they’ll doubtless reciprocate the favor by partaking with what you needed to say, sharing your individual piece of content material, and so on.
Relationship constructing is a long-term course of, and if you stay constant, your outcomes will compound, and your on-line channels will continue to grow in visibility, attain, and engagement.
Which subjects and codecs ought to you curate as a nonprofit?
If you’re uncertain in regards to the codecs you can use and the subjects to share via them, use this part as inspiration. Let’s give attention to three most important methods to share curated content material:
- Curated weblog posts
- Curated social media posts
- Curated content material hubs
A curated blog post is an effective way to maintain your group’s weblog contemporary. At a foundational stage, it features a title, a picture, and a quote from the unique piece of content material, with a hyperlink to it.
The excellent news is that you can simply take it additional than that. For instance:
- Add your individual pictures and graphics
- Share your individual opinion or evaluation to supply additional context
- Add additional sources like hyperlinks to your different content material
- Provide you with your individual title
Lastly, identical to along with your authentic posts, you can add a call-to-action (CTA) to show readers into subscribers. You can additionally categorize/tag this piece of content material in order that it’s straightforward for readers to search out in the event that they’re exploring a sure class.
There are lots of progress alternatives that include social media, however provided that you do it proper. The lifespan of social media posts is brief: as much as 5 hours on Fb, 2 days on Instagram, and solely 18 minutes on Twitter.
Curated social media content material will assist you keep away from the social media hamster wheel—the sensation you must be in creation mode 24/7. It would preserve your social media feeds energetic and filled with numerous codecs and related subjects.
Listed below are some concepts of content material you can share:
- Third-party analysis and case research
- Quotes from public figures, volunteers, or group members: these can be in a brief video format, on a easy graphic (you can simply create it with Canva), or in plain textual content
- Related native and worldwide occasions
- Hyperlinks to native information and interviews
- Press you have been talked about in
A curated content material hub is a web based vacation spot that homes third-party content material in a central place that you personal. It’s an effective way to current essentially the most priceless content material on any given subject.
Every content material hub can (and ought to) characteristic a spread of content material codecs, equivalent to:
- Case research
- Social media content material
- Person-generated content material
To your nonprofit, one of the best strategy is to create a go-to, centralized place for every of your most important subjects. If we take the sooner instance of a poverty-focused nonprofit, their particular person content material hubs could be titled Starvation, Inequality, Entry to water, Girls’s rights.
Content hubs are extraordinarily versatile and with the correct instruments, you can create one and begin curating inside minutes.
That is significantly helpful when data modifications rapidly. You can see an excellent instance of this with Scoop.it’s COVID-19 topic page:
The beauty of content material hubs is that you can focus most of your content material curation time on them, and different actions (curated weblog posts and social media) will observe. The content material that leads to your content material hubs can simply be repurposed for different channels, together with curated newsletters.
Let’s have a look at how you can do it with Scoop.it.
4 steps to profitable content material curation with Scoop.it
Scoop.it lets you curate content material from everywhere in the web in a couple of methods. You can:
- Paste any hyperlink to create a brand new scoop
- Scoop with no hyperlink (by including a title, description, and picture to a brand new scoop)
- Use Scoop.it’s bookmarklet so as to add a chunk of content material you at the moment have opened
- Get strategies by getting into related key phrases
Let’s undergo straightforward steps to arrange content material hubs for your nonprofit. If you wish to observe alongside, seize a free Scoop.it account if you don’t have it but.
Step 1: Create a brand new Scoop.it subject
Out of your Scoop.it dashboard, click on the ‘Create a Subject’ signal with the plus mark.
You’ll then see a easy display screen that prompts you to call your subject and choose its language.
From the hub web page, you’ll be capable to change its title and add a picture for it. Our subsequent aim is to search out content material for it.
Step 2: Add curated content material to your Scoop.it subject
There are two most important methods so as to add content material to your Scoop.it content material hubs: from exterior of Scoop.it and from inside Scoop.it.
Curating exterior Scoop.it means you’ll come throughout a chunk of content material you wish to curate and then both use the Scoop.it bookmarklet or copy that URL and paste it into your Scoop.it web page.
Curating inside Scoop.it means you can use the Options engine and let Scoop.it do a whole lot of the onerous work for you.
You can entry it straight out of your subject’s web page by clicking the drawer icon on the high proper nook. From there, you can add filters equivalent to:
- Key phrases
- No posts older than [number] days/months
- Sorting by relevance or freshness
- Solely together with strategies of sure codecs, equivalent to articles, paperwork, photos, movies, or social media posts
Right here’s the way it seems in apply:
From right here, including a chunk of content material to your subject is so simple as hitting the ‘Publish’ button.
Step 3: Make the piece of content material higher by including your experience
Bear in mind we talked earlier in regards to the worth of creating a chunk of content material richer by including your ideas, evaluation, and context? That is the step you get to try this inside Scoop.it.
When you select a chunk of content material to curate, you’ll see the next popup:
In it, you can:
- Add your perception into a delegated area, with many formatting choices like font dimension, bullet level lists, and hyperlinks to completely make it your individual
- Edit the title, description, and picture that Scoop.it mechanically pulled from the piece of content material
- Add tags, which you can use as a strategy to kind and categorize every of your subject pages even additional
- Choose a date and time for this piece of content material to be added to your hub
That is your probability so as to add particulars particular to your nonprofit, your private expertise, a quote from somebody you’ve helped, or anything that may paint a greater image of your group’s universe.
Step 4: Get your curated content material in entrance of the correct individuals
In one of many earlier sections, we talked about that curated content material will assist you get buy-in and belief from companions, donors, and volunteers and allow you to hit your targets. For this to occur, this content material wants to achieve these individuals.
There are two methods you can make this occur with Scoop.it: post-level promotion, and bigger promotion like web site integration and newsletters.
On a post-level promotion, you can click on the arrow button beneath every put up and use one of many sharing choices obtainable, equivalent to:
- Twitter, LinkedIn, or Pinterest
- Hootsuite and Buffer
- Direct electronic mail
- Direct Scoop.it hyperlink you can copy and paste wherever
On a bigger scale of promotion, you can:
- Combine your subject web page in your web site (a number of choices can be found via Integration tab on the high of your subject)
- Create a e-newsletter out of your subject web page
Each of those choices leverage the truth that you’ve already finished many of the work when you curated and enriched these items of content material. They collate this work right into a webpage or a e-newsletter and give you all the benefits that include it.
You’re prepared to realize all of your nonprofit targets
Now you know precisely what content material curation means in a nonprofit setting, the way it can profit you, and how you can get began.
Remember to take Scoop.it for a check drive and see how you can serve your trigger even higher and extra effectively. Now we have created offers and discounts specific to nonprofits, so ship us a word and we’ll get you up and operating very quickly.
The put up Content curation for nonprofits: benefits, ideas, and steps you can take today appeared first on Scoop.it Blog.